Recipe: Orange and five-spice glazed ham
- 7kg whole leg ham, on the bone
- Whole cloves, to stud
- 125g (3/4 cup, lightly packed) brown sugar
- 170g (1/2 cup) orange marmalade
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice
- 2 1/2 tbs Dijon mustard
- 500ml (2 cups) fresh orange juice
- Place an oven shelf in the lowest position and remove other shelves. Preheat oven to 170°C. Use a small sharp knife to cut around the shank in a zigzag pattern, about 10cm from the end. Carefully run the knife under the rind around the edge of the ham. Gently lift rind off by running your fingers between the rind and the fat. Score fat in a diamond pattern, about 5mm deep. Stud centres of diamonds with cloves.
- Combine the sugar, marmalade, Chinese five spice and mustard in a bowl until smooth. Place the ham, fat-side-up, in a large baking dish. Pour the orange juice into the dish. Brush one-third of the glaze over the ham. Bake the ham for 30 minutes. Brush with half the remaining glaze.
- Bake, brushing once with remaining glaze, for a further 1 1/4 hours or until ham is cooked through and the surface is sticky and golden. Set aside for 15 minutes to rest before carving.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: supper
Culinary tradition: USA (General)