Recipe: Oven-braised chicken
- 1 (about 1.6kg) free-range chicken
- 1 lemon, halved
- 700g small waxy potatoes, peeled
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 2 small brown onions, chopped
- 2 parsnips, peeled
- 1 tbs mild sweet paprika
- Sea salt
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 600ml chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 50g butter, melted
- 100ml thick cream
- 2 tbs roughly chopped tarragon
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Wash chicken inside and out. Pat dry and place half a lemon in the cavity of the chicken and tie the legs together with kitchen string. Cut all the vegetables into roughly equal-sized pieces and place in the base of a large casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the chicken with paprika, and season with sea salt and pepper. Heat the olive oil in a frypan over medium heat and fry chicken until golden on all sides. Place chicken in casserole with vegetables and pour in enough stock to come halfway up sides of vegetables – the tops of the vegies should be sticking out.
- Add the bay leaf and thyme, then cover and bake for 1 hour, basting the chicken with stock every 15 minutes. Increase the oven to 220°C. Remove the chicken from the casserole and set aside to rest. Place the vegetables on a baking tray, brush with the melted butter and roast for 10 minutes to crisp. Pour the sauce from the casserole dish into a saucepan and simmer over high heat until reduced and thickened.
- Add the cream, juice of the remaining lemon half and the tarragon. Taste for seasoning. Carve the chicken and serve with the vegetables and sauce.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)