Recipe: Red onion jam
- 60ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
- 800g (about 6) red onions, halved, thinly sliced
- 70g (1/3 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
- 100ml white wine
- 60ml (1/4 cup) balsamic vinegar
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. Cook the onion, stirring, for 2 minutes. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until the onion is soft. Add the sugar, wine and vinegar and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cook for 20 minutes or until the mixture thickens. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a sterilised jar. Seal and invert for 2 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Number of servings (yield): 6
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)