Recipe: Salsa chicken with chickpea rice
- 3/4 cup brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-salt chicken stock
- olive oil cooking spray
- 4 (150g each) chicken breast fillets, trimmed
- 300g jar 99% fat-free chunky tomato salsa
- 400g broccoli, trimmed, cut into florets
- 200g green beans, trimmed
- 400g can Edgell chick peas, drained, rinsed
- Place rice and stock in a saucepan over high heat. Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes or until stock is absorbed. Meanwhile, heat a large, non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Lightly spray both sides of chicken with oil. Cook for 5 minutes each side or until cooked through. Transfer to a plate. Cover with foil and set aside for 5 minutes to rest. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add salsa to frying pan. Heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until hot. Place broccoli and beans in a steamer basket. Place over a saucepan of simmering water and cook for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Remove rice from heat. Stir in chickpeas and season with pepper. Cover and stand for 5 minutes. Spoon rice onto plates. Top with chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon over salsa. Serve with broccoli and beans.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)