Recipe: Soft-boiled eggs with Sichuan salt and asparagus soldiers
- 1 tbs sea salt flakes
- 1/2 tsp ground Sichuan pepper
- 1/4 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bunches asparagus, trimmed
- 4 large free-range eggs, at room temperature
- Combine the salt, Sichuan pepper, fivespice and black pepper in a small bowl. Use a vegetable peeler to peel the ends of each asparagus spear. Cook in a medium saucepan of salted boiling water for 1-2 minutes or until bright green and tender crisp. Drain well. For the boiled eggs, place the eggs in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water.
- Place over high heat and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 1 minute 30 seconds for soft-boiled (just-set white and runny yolk) or cooked to your liking. Remove with a slotted spoon and serve immediately with Sichuan salt and asparagus spears.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)