Recipe: Turkish toast with poached egg
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1/3 cup coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 4 free-range eggs
- 1 loaf Turkish bread, cut into 4 pieces, split, toasted
- 1 teaspoon sumac (see note)
- Combine tomatoes, onion, coriander and red wine vinegar in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and set aside for 30 minutes to allow flavours to develop, if time permits. Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil over high heat. Add white vinegar and a pinch of salt. Reduce heat to low and gently simmer.
- Crack 1 egg onto a saucer (to check egg yolk is intact). Using a large spoon, stir simmering water to create a whirlpool. Tip egg into centre of whirlpool. Repeat with another egg. Poach eggs for 3 to 4 minutes or until just set. Use a slotted spoon to transfer eggs to a plate. Cover to keep warm. Repeat with remaining eggs. Place bread bases on plates. Top with tomato mixture and eggs. Sprinkle with sumac. Cover with bread tops. Serve.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)