Recipe: Vanilla rice pudding with poached rhubarb
- 4 cups gluten-free soy milk
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 strips lemon rind
- 1 (600g) bunch rhubarb, washed, trimmed, cut into 6cm lengths
- ombine milk, rice, sugar and vanilla in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, stirring every 5 minutes, for 25 minutes or until rice is tender and creamy. Meanwhile, make poached rhubarb: Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Place sugar, cinnamon, lemon rind and 1 cup cold water in a saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until sugar has dissolved.
- Increase heat to high. Bring to the boil. Boil, without stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes or until mixture has slightly thickened. Place rhubarb, in a single layer, in a large baking dish.
- Add sugar mixture. Cover with foil. Bake for 20 minutes or until rhubarb is tender. Remove and discard cinnamon stick and lemon rind. Divide rice mixture between bowls. Top with poached rhubarb. Serve.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)