Recipe: Veal scaloppine with rosemary pumpkin
- 600g butternut pumpkin, peeled, cut into 4cm-thick pieces
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbs fresh rosemary leaves
- 4 (about 100g each) veal schnitzels
- 4 slices 97 per cent fat-free leg ham (Hans brand)
- 12 English spinach leaves, trimmed, washed, dried
- 4 edam cheese slices (Mainland brand)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Arrange the pumpkin on prepared tray. Bake on top shelf of preheated oven for 20 minutes. Remove from oven. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with rosemary.
- Bake for a further 5 minutes or until golden brown and tender. Meanwhile, place a piece of veal on a clean work surface. Top with a slice of ham, three spinach leaves and a slice of cheese. Fold over to enclose filling and secure with a toothpick. Repeat with the remaining veal, ham, spinach and cheese. Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over mediumhigh heat.
- Add veal and cook for 2-3 minutes each side or until brown. Transfer to a baking tray and cover with foil. Bake in oven for a further 5 minutes or until hot. Remove from oven. Place veal on serving plates and serve with rosemary pumpkin.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)