Recipe: Creamy Mushroom, Bacon & Basil Spaghetti
- 400g dried spaghetti
- 2 tbs cornflour
- 1 tbs water
- 2 x 125g pkts 98 per cent fat-free bacon (Weight Watchers brand), cut into 2cm pieces
- 500g cup mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 x 375ml can light evaporated milk
- 250ml (1 cup) chicken stock Freshly ground black pepper
- 25g (1/4 cup) finely shredded parmesan
- 1/2 cup shredded fresh basil
- Cook the spaghetti in a large saucepan of salted boiling water following packet directions or until al dente. Drain and return to the pan. Meanwhile, combine the cornflour and water in a small bowl.
- Heat a medium non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook, stirring, for
3-5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add the mushroom and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until mushroom softens.
- Add the evaporated milk and stock. Bring to the boil. Add the cornflour mixture and cook, stirring, for 3-5 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly.
- Remove from heat. Taste and season with pepper. Add the mushroom mixture to the spaghetti and toss until well combined.
- Divide the spaghetti among serving bowls. Sprinkle with parmesan and basil, and serve immediately.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)