Recipe: Flourless Chocolate Cake
- Melted reduced-fat dairy spread, to grease
- 50g (1/2 cup) cocoa powder
- 80ml (1/3 cup) hot water
- 2 tsp instant coffee powder
- 2 tsp boiling water
- 1 x 100g pkt almond meal
- 100g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 3 eggs, separated Strawberries, washed, sliced, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush a round 22cm (base measurement) cake pan with melted dairy spread to lightly grease. Line the base with non-stick baking paper.
- Combine the cocoa powder and hot water in a medium bowl. Combine the instant coffee powder and boiling water in a cup.
- Add the coffee to the cocoa mixture and stir until combined. Add almond meal, sugar and egg yolks to cocoa mixture, and stir until well combined.
- Use an electric beater to whisk egg whites in a clean, dry bowl until soft peaks form. Use a metal spoon to fold a spoonful of egg whites into cocoa mixture until combined.
- Gently fold in remaining egg whites until just combined. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Place cake pan in a roasting pan. Pour enough boiling water into the roasting pan to reach two-thirds of the way up the side of the cake pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Remove from oven. Remove cake pan from water bath and set aside for 20 minutes to cool.
- Turn cake onto a wire rack and remove paper. Set aside for a further 20 minutes or until cooled to room temperature.
- Cut cake into wedges and carefully transfer to serving plates. Serve with strawberries.
Number of servings (yield): 8
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)