Recipe: Watercress & Orange Salad
- You will need the juice of 2 navel oranges for this recipe.
- 125ml (1/2 cup) fresh orange juice
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 rashers 97 per cent fat-free bacon (Hans brand), cut into 1cm-thick slices
- 1 bunch watercress, sprigs picked, washed, dried
- 3 navel oranges, peeled, segmented
- 1 medium (about 140g) red onion, thinly sliced
- Place the orange juice, oil and sugar in a screw-top jar. Season with salt and pepper. Shake until well combined. Set aside. Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the bacon and cook for 5-6 minutes or until crisp (see microwave tip). Drain on paper towel.
- Divide the watercress, orange and onion among serving bowls. Shake the dressing and drizzle over the salad. Top with bacon and serve immediately.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)