Recipe: Ricotta & risoni bake
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 300g lamb mince
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup (200g) risoni
- 300g Lebanese eggplant, cut into 2cm pieces
- 300g zucchini, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- 350g ricotta
- 1/2 cup (130g) fat-free natural yoghurt
- 1 egg Ground nutmeg, to sprinkle
- Mixed salad leaves, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Heat oil in a large saucepan over a medium-high heat. Cook mince and garlic for 3 minutes or until mince is browned.
- Add the cumin and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant. Add the tomatoes, risoni, eggplant, zucchini and oregano. Bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season to taste. Transfer the mixture to a 2-litre rectangular ovenproof dish.
- Whisk the ricotta, yoghurt and egg using a fork until well combined. Spread evenly over the risoni mixture. Sprinkle with nutmeg. Bake for 40 minutes.
- Serve with mixed salad leaves.
Number of servings (yield): 6
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)