Recipe: Asparagus With Poached Eggs, Feta & Sumac Crisps
- 1 piece Lebanese bread, split
- 1 x 180g ctn Persian feta, drained, oil reserved
- 1/2 tsp sumac
- 2 bunches green asparagus, woody ends trimmed, spears halved lengthways
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 4 free-range eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp almond dukkah
- 3 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Place the bread on baking trays. Brush 1 side of each piece with some of the reserved oil and sprinkle with the sumac.
- Bake in oven for 6 minutes or until light golden and crisp. Set aside to cool. Meanwhile, bring a large frying pan of salted water to the boil over high heat.
- Add the asparagus and cook for 2-3 minutes or until bright green and tender crisp. Use tongs to transfer the asparagus to a sieve.
- Refresh under cold running water. Drain. Add 2 teaspoons of the reserved oil to the asparagus and toss to coat. Add the vinegar to the pan and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Crack 1 egg into a shallow bowl. Use a spoon to stir the water to make a whirlpool. Carefully pour the egg into the centre of the whirlpool and poach for 1-2 minutes for a soft yolk or until cooked to your liking.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a plate. Cover with foil to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining eggs. Break the bread into large pieces.
- Divide the bread and asparagus among serving plates. Crumble the feta over the asparagus. Top with poached eggs, and sprinkle with the dukkah and lemon rind. Season with pepper to serve.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)