Recipe: Baked Eggs With Spinach And Green Onion
- 30g butter
- 1 bunch English spinach, trimmed, washed, dried
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed Melted butter, to grease
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup (35g) coarsely grated cheddar
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 1/3 cup (80ml) thin cream
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Melt the butter in a large frying pan over high heat until foaming.
- Add the spinach and garlic and cook, tossing the pan occasionally, for 2-3 minutes or until spinach just wilts. Remove from heat.
- Season well with salt and pepper. Brush four 3/4-cup (185ml) capacity ramekins with butter to grease. Divide the spinach evenly among the ramekins. Sprinkle with green onions and cheddar.
- Carefully crack an egg into a small dish, then tip into the ramekin. Repeat with remaining eggs. Drizzle with cream, being careful not to drizzle over the yolk. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the ramekins in a roasting pan. Pour enough boiling water into the pan to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes or until the white is set and yolk is still runny, or until cooked to your liking.
- Remove ramekins from the oven and serve immediately with buttered toast, if desired.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)