Recipe: Baked Vanilla Fruits With Coconut Custard
- 8 mixed nectarines & peaches (we used a mix of yellow and white nectarines and peaches)
- 1 1/2 cups (330g) caster sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
- 300ml coconut cream
- 300ml milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 large (70g) free-range egg yolks
- 1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
- 2 tsp cornflour, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 170°C. Place the nectarines and peaches into a deep ceramic baking dish.
- Place the caster sugar, vanilla bean and seeds, and 2 cups (500ml) water in a saucepan and bring to the boil over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Remove from heat and carefully pour the sugar syrup over the fruit. Transfer to the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until the fruit is tender.
- Meanwhile, for the coconut custard, place the coconut cream, milk and vanilla extract in a saucepan over medium heat and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring, until just below boiling point.
- Meanwhile, place the egg yolks, caster sugar, cornflour and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Using electric beaters, beat for about 3 minutes or until the mixture is thick and pale.
- Gradually beat in the hot coconut cream mixture, then place in a clean pan over low heat. Cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, for 10 minutes or until the custard is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon.
- Serve the fruit warm or chilled, drizzled with the coconut custard.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)