Recipe: Bruschetta With Honey Ricotta & Vanilla Strawberries
- 250g fresh low-fat ricotta
- 2 tbs honey
- 185ml (3/4 cup) water
- 100g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthways, seeds removed, reserved
- 2 x 125g punnets strawberries, washed, hulled, thinly sliced
- Olive oil spray
- 6 thick slices crusty bread Icing sugar, to serve
- Combine the ricotta and honey in a small bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge.
- Place water and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat and stir until the sugar dissolves. Bring to a gentle simmer.
- Add the vanilla bean and seeds. Simmer, without stirring, for 10 minutes or until the syrup thickens slightly. Set aside for 20 minutes or until cooled to room temperature. Transfer to a bowl.
- Stir in the strawberries. Cover and place in the fridge to macerate. Meanwhile, preheat a chargrill on high. Lightly spray with olive oil spray.
- Cook half the bread on grill for 2 minutes each side or until golden. Repeat with the remaining bread. Spread 1 side of each bread slice evenly with the ricotta mixture.
- Divide among serving plates. Top with the strawberry mixture and dust with icing sugar to serve.
Number of servings (yield): 6
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)