- 1 x 400 pkt double unfilled plain sponge sandwich cakes (Woolworths brand)
- 125ml (1/2 cup) sweet white wine (such as muscat)
- 2 x 200g containers 97 per cent fat-free French vanilla Fruche
- 200g reduced-fat fresh ricotta
- 2 tbs caster sugar
- 2 tsp finely grated orange rind
- 175g mixed glace fruit (such as glace cherries, ginger and pineapple), coarsely chopped
- 30g good-quality dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 tbs cocoa powder, to dust
- Line six 250ml (1-cup) capacity round-based tea cups with plastic wrap allowing the edges to overhang.
- Use a serrated knife to trim 1cm from top and base of 1 sponge cake (discard centre section).
- Use a 6cm-diameter round pastry cutter to cut 6 discs from the two 1cm-thick sections of cake. Place, brown-side up, in bases of prepared cups.
- Cut remaining whole cake crossways into 1cm-thick slices. Cut into lengths long enough to line sides of cups. Line cups with cake.
- Use a pastry brush to brush cake with wine. Reserve leftover cake. Use an electric beater to beat together 1 container of Fruche, the ricotta, sugar and orange rind in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Stir in the remaining container of Fruche along with the glace fruit and chocolate. Spoon Fruche mixture among prepared cups.
- Tap the cups on the benchtop to settle the mixture. Use remaining slices of cake to cover the filling. Fold over the plastic wrap to cover and seal.
- Place cups on a tray in the fridge for 8 hours or overnight to set. Open plastic wrap and turn cassata into serving dishes.
- Remove plastic wrap. Dust with cocoa and serve immediately.
Number of servings (yield): 6
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)