Recipe: Chargrilled beef and balsamic onion salad
- olive oil cooking spray
- 2 brown onions, halved, sliced
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons 100% fat-free Italian balsamic salad dressing
- 4 (125g each) beef rump steaks, trimmed
- 2 multigrain bread rolls 2 red capsicum, thinly sliced
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced
- Spray a large, non-stick frying pan with oil and heat over low heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until tender.
- Add sugar and 2 tablespoons cold water. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until onions are tender.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon salad dressing. Meanwhile, heat barbecue grill on medium-high heat. Spray both sides of steaks with oil and season with pepper.
- Grill steaks for 3 to 4 minutes each side for medium or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate. Cover and rest for 5 minutes.
- Slice each roll crossways into 4 slices. Spray both sides with oil. Grill for 2 minutes each side or until toasted. Slice steak into thin strips. Combine capsicum, cucumber and zucchini in a bowl.
- Pour over remaining salad dressing and toss to combine. Divide salad among bowls. Top with steak and onions.
- Serve with toasted bread.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: snack
Culinary tradition: USA (General)