Recipe: Chicken, bacon & mushroom casserole
- 8 small free-range chicken legs
- 1/4 cup (40g) plain flour
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 200g bacon rashers, rind removed and cut into 2cm cubes
- 500g button mushrooms, halved
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 800g can diced tomatoes
- 140g container tomato paste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to season
- Sour cream and chopped continental parsley on creamy polenta, to serve
- Toss 8 small free-range chicken legs in 1/4 cup (40g) plain flour until coated. Heat 2 tbs olive oil in a frying pan over high heat.
- Add chicken and cook, turning until golden. Place in a 3.5-litre crockpot.
- Add 200g bacon rashers, rind removed and cut into 2cm cubes, 500g button mushrooms, halved, 1 onion, chopped, and 2 garlic cloves, crushed, to the frying pan and cook for 5 minutes or until golden.
- Add to the crockpot with 800g can diced tomatoes and 140g container tomato paste. Cook, covered, on Low for 4-6 hours or on High for 2-3 hours.
- Season well with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and scattered with chopped continental parsley on creamy polenta.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: brunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)