Recipe: Chicken with thyme & vinegar sauce
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 4 small (170g each) free-range chicken breast fillets
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 large eschalots, halved, thinly sliced
- 8 thyme sprigs
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 1/2 cup (125ml) dry red wine
- 1/4 cup (60ml) red wine vinegar
- Steamed Brussels sprouts, halved, and wilted baby spinach leaves, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large deep frypan and cook chicken over medium heat for 4 minutes each side or until golden. Transfer to a plate.
- Add garlic, eschalots and thyme to the pan and cook, stirring, over medium heat for 4 minutes or until the eschalots have softened.
- Stir in tomato paste and cook for 1 minute. Add wine and vinegar, bring to the boil and cook for 1 minute.
- Add 1/2 cup (125ml) water and chicken, and simmer over low heat, basting in the sauce, for 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and sauce has thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide the chicken among plates, top with sauce and serve with vegetables.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: brunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)