Recipe: Choux Pastries With Rare Beef And Horseradish Cream
- 100g unsalted butter
- 130g plain flour, plus extra to dust
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup (25g) freshly grated parmesan
- 1 tbs milk
- 1/3 cup (80ml) horseradish cream
- 400ml creme fraiche or sour cream
- 40 wafer-thin slices rare roast beef
- 3 cups micro salad leaves or small watercress sprigs
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Grease 2 large baking trays and dust with a little flour, shaking off excess.
- Combine butter, 1 tsp salt and 1 cup (250ml) water in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to the boil, then remove from heat. Stir in flour to combine.
- Return to the heat and stir constantly until the mixture comes away from the sides of the pan in a ball.
- Remove pan from heat. Stir in 3 eggs well, 1 at a time, then stir in cheese. Drop 20 heaped teaspoons of mixture onto each tray, leaving room to expand.
- Beat milk with remaining egg and brush over pastry. Bake for 20 minutes until puffed and golden. Place puffs on a rack and pierce with tip of a knife to allow steam to escape.
- Cool completely. Keep choux puffs in an airtight container for 1 day or freeze ahead and reheat in oven. To serve, split choux puffs through the centre.
- Mix horseradish with creme fraiche and season. Fill puffs with cream mixture, beef and salad leaves.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)