Recipe: Honey sesame chicken with Asian-flavoured slaw
- 8 (about 800g) skinless chicken lovely legs
- 125ml (1/2 cup) yellow box honey
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 1 x 15g pkt sesame seeds
- 1 bunch choy sum, washed, dried, trimmed, finely shredded
- 1/4 green cabbage, hard core removed, finely shredded
- 1 large (about 175g) carrot, peeled, coarsely grated
- 185ml (3/4 cup) 99 per cent fat-free coleslaw dressing (Praise brand)
- Preheat oven to 230°C. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Use a small sharp knife to pierce the chicken legs several times on each side.
- Kids’ task: Combine the honey and soy sauce in a large, shallow glass or ceramic dish. Add the chicken and turn to coat. Set aside for 10 minutes to develop the flavours.
- Place chicken on prepared tray and reserve marinade. Bake chicken in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Turn and baste with the reserved marinade and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake for a further 10 minutes or until brown and cooked through. Meanwhile, combine choy sum, cabbage and carrot in a bowl. Pour over coleslaw dressing and toss until just combined.
- Arrange the chicken on a serving platter and serve immediately with Asian-flavoured slaw.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: brunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)