Recipe: Linseed & walnut hotcakes
- 160g (1 cup) wholemeal self-raising flour
- 75g (1/2 cup) self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbs caster sugar
- 2 tbs ground linseeds
- 35g (1/3 cup) walnut halves, coarsely chopped
- 2 omega-3 enriched eggs
- 310ml (1 1/4 cups) skim milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Canola oil, to grease
- 4 just-ripe bananas, peeled, thickly sliced
- 160ml (2/3 cup) maple syrup
- 1 x 150g ctn 99 per cent fat-free vanilla creme fromage frais (Fruche brand)
- Preheat oven to 120°C. Sift combined flours and baking powder into a bowl. Return husks to bowl. Add sugar, linseeds and walnuts.
- Make a well in the centre. Whisk together eggs, milk and vanilla essence in a jug. Gradually add the egg mixture to the flour mixture, whisking constantly until a smooth batter forms.
- Brush a large non-stick frying pan with oil and heat over medium heat. Pour two 60ml (1/4-cup) portions of batter into the pan, allowing room for spreading.
- Cook for 1 1/2 minutes or until bubbles appear on the surface and hotcakes are golden underneath. Turn and cook for a further 1 minute or until golden.
- Transfer to a heatproof plate and cover with foil. Place in preheated oven to keep warm. Repeat, in 5 more batches, with the remaining batter, reheating and brushing the pan with oil between batches.
- Wipe frying pan with paper towel and place over low heat. Add the banana and maple syrup and cook, turning occasionally, for 1-2 minutes or until heated through.
- Divide the hotcakes among serving plates. Top with banana and drizzle with maple syrup.
- Serve immediately with a dollop of fromage frais.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)