Recipe: Nicoise Salad With Salmon
- 5 free-range eggs
- 8 small waxy potatoes (pink fir or kipfler), peeled
- 200g baby French beans, trimmed
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 anchovy fillets
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 lime, juiced
- 250ml (1 cup) extra virgin olive oil, plus extra to brush
- 4 (about 120g each) salmon fillets
- 20ml (1 tbs) balsamic vinegar
- 20 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 12 nicoise olives (small black olives)
- 2 tbs chopped fresh chives
- Place the four eggs in a pan of cold water and cook over high heat for five minutes. Drain, allow to cool, then peel and set aside.
- Cook potatoes in boiling, salted water for 8-10 minutes until tender. Set aside to cool, then slice.
- Blanch the beans for one minute in boiling, salted water. Refresh and set aside to cool. Place the remaining raw egg, garlic, anchovies, mustard and lime juice in a food processor and mix to combine.
- With the motor running, gradually add 150ml of the oil until thickened. Set aside. Preheat barbecue to high.
- Brush the salmon with oil and season, then cook for two minutes each side until crisp but still rare. Combine remaining oil and vinegar and season.
- Quarter the eggs and place in a bowl. Add tomato, beans, potatoes, olives and half the chives. Toss with oil and vinegar. Divide between bowls, break salmon into pieces and add to each bowl.
- Drizzle with the dressing and garnish with remaining chives and black pepper.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)