Recipe: Nicoise Salad
- 3 free-range eggs (see note)
- 600g small chat potatoes, halved
- 250g small green beans, trimmed
- olive oil cooking spray
- 2 x 225g tuna steaks
- 250g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3/4 cup small black olives
- 2 baby cos lettuce, outer leaves discarded, leaves separated, rinsed
- 3 anchovy fillets, rinsed, dried, halved lengthways
- 1/2 cup French dressing (see related recipe)
- Place eggs in a saucepan. Cover with cold water. Place over medium heat. Bring to the boil, stirring often to create a whirlpool (to centre yolks).
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain and refresh in cold water. Peel. Set aside. Meanwhile, place potatoes in a large saucepan.
- Cover with cold water. Place over high heat. Bring to the boil. Cook for 10 minutes or until just tender. Remove to a bowl with a slotted spoon. Add beans to water.
- Cook for 2 minutes or until bright green. Drain. Refresh under cold water. Pat dry with paper towel. Preheat barbecue grill or chargrill pan on high heat.
- Lightly spray both sides tuna with oil. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes each side or until just cooked. Transfer to a plate. Allow to cool slightly. Flake into 3cm pieces. Combine potatoes, beans, tuna, tomatoes and olives in a large bowl. Toss gently.
- Arrange lettuce on serving plates. Top with potato mixture and anchovies. Cut eggs into quarters and add to salad. Drizzle with dressing. Season with pepper. Serve.
Number of servings (yield): 6
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)