Recipe: Orange & almond cake
- 2 large navel oranges, (choose oranges with unblemished skins as the whole fruit is used in this recipe)
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups (250g) caster sugar
- 2 1/2 cups (250g) ground almonds
- 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- Pure icing sugar to serve
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Grease and line the base of a heart-shaped pan. Place the two whole oranges in a saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring to the boil and simmer, covered, for 1 hour, ensuring that the oranges remain covered with water. Drain and cool.
- Chop the oranges into quarters, discard any seeds, then place the chunks into a blender and puree until smooth.
- Beat the eggs with the sugar until thick, then add the orange puree, ground almonds and baking powder and mix well.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 1 hour. Leave the cake to firm up in the pan for 20 minutes then turn out, remove the baking paper and turn over to finish cooling right way up.
- This cake definitely mellows with a little time and can be prepared up to 48 hours in advance.
- To serve, sift icing sugar on top and decorate with orange zest and almonds.
Number of servings (yield): 1
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)