Recipe: Passionfruit & banana soufflés
- 1 tbs unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar, plus extra to sprinkle
- 3 free-range eggs, separated
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 4-5 passionfruit (to give 100ml pulp)
- Icing sugar, to dust
- Preheat the oven to 190C. Brush six 170ml soufflé dishes or ramekins with the melted butter and lightly sprinkle with a little extra caster sugar, tipping out any excess.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks with 1/4 cup (55g) caster sugar using an electric mixer, until pale and smooth. Beat in mashed banana and passionfruit.
- In another large bowl, beat eggwhites to soft peaks. Gradually add the remaining 1/4 cup (55g) caster sugar and continue beating until you have glossy, stiff peaks.
- Using a large metal spoon, gently fold eggwhite, a little at a time, into the yolk mixture, taking care to keep as much air in the mix as possible.
- Fill soufflé dishes or ramekins to the brim and run your thumb around the inside edge of each ramekin (this will help the soufflés rise).
- Place on a baking sheet and bake on a rack just below the middle of the oven for 12-14 minutes until puffed and golden.
- Carefully remove the soufflés from the oven, then dust with icing sugar and serve immediately.
Number of servings (yield): 6
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)