Recipe: Pistachio & Apple Cake
- 2/3 cup (100g) shelled, unsalted pistachio nuts
- 1/4 cup (30g) rice flour
- 1/2 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups (150g) ground almonds
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
- 1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar, extra
- 50g apple, such as fuji, unpeeled and grated
- 50g butter, melted
- Sweetened marscarpone
- Shredded mint
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line the base of a 26cm springform pan. Place the pistachio nuts and flour into a food processor and process until the nuts are finely ground.
- The flour helps the nuts to grind evenly. Add the baking powder and ground almonds and pulse till just combined.
- Using an electric mixer beat the egg yolks and the first lot of sugar on high speed till the mixture is very thick. Stir in the ground nut/flour mix, apple and butter and stir well.
- The mix will be quite stiff at this stage. In a separate bowl beat the egg whites to soft peak stage then add the extra sugar and beat to firm peak stage.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the nut mixture in two batches. Place the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for approximately 50-60 minutes until cooked through.
- Allow the cake to set in the pan for 10 minutes then turn out onto a cake rack to cool.
- To serve, dust the cake with a little icing sugar and serve slices with a dollop of marscarpone and a little mint.
Number of servings (yield): 8
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)