Recipe: Poached Egg And Bacon Pies
- 20g butter
- 5 bacon rashers, finely chopped
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 4 green onions, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 2 tbs thickened cream
- 1 tbs white vinegar
- 6 free-range eggs, at room temperature
- Baby rocket leaves, to serve
Sour cream pastry
- 2 cups (300g) plain flour
- 100g chilled butter, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125g) sour cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp iced water
- To make the sour cream pastry, place the flour and butter in the bowl of a food processor and process until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the sour cream, egg yolk and water and process until mixture just comes together.
- Turn onto a lightly floured board and gently knead until mixture just comes together. Shape into a disc and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest. Divide the pastry into six portions. Roll each portion out to a 12cm disc. Line the base and sides of six 10cm (base measurement) fluted tart tins with removable bases with the pastry.
- Trim any excess pastry. Place in the fridge for 15 minutes to rest. Preheat oven to 200°C. Place the pastry cases on an oven tray. Line each case with baking paper and fill with rice or beans. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove the paper and rice or beans and cook for a further 5 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a medium frying pan over high heat.
- Add the bacon and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Add three-quarters of the green onions and the cream and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until heated through. Season with pepper.
- Remove from heat. Spoon the bacon mixture evenly among the pastry cases. Return to the oven for 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Add vinegar to a deep frying pan filled with water and bring to the boil over high heat. Crack an egg into a small cup.
- Use a large spoon to stir the water to create a whirlpool. Carefully slip the egg into the centre of the whirlpool and poach for 1-2 minutes for a soft egg, or until cooked to your liking.
- Remove and set aside on a plate. Repeat with remaining eggs. Place the tartlets on serving plates and spoon the poached egg on top.
- Sprinkle with remaining green onions. Serve immediately with rocket leaves, if desired.
Number of servings (yield): 6
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)