Recipe: Roasted Beetroot Preserve
- 1.5kg beetroot bulbs, stems removed
- 400ml apple cider vinegar
- 400ml water
- 240g (1 1/2 cups, lightly packed) brown sugar
- 1 tsp whole black peppercorns
- 1 tsp whole cloves
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 200ºC. Wrap each beetroot bulb in foil. Place on a baking tray. Roast for 1 hour or until beetroot is tender when pierced with a skewer.
- Set aside to cool slightly. Wearing disposable gloves to avoid staining your hands, remove the skin and discard. Cut the beetroot into wedges.
- Pack beetroot into dry, sterilised jars. Combine the vinegar, water, sugar, peppercorns, cloves and salt in a large saucepan over high heat. Bring to the boil.
- Cover and set aside to cool. Cover the beetroot with the vinegar mixture and seal.
Number of servings (yield): 12
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)