Recipe: Roasted pumpkin and chickpea salad
- 1.2kg Jap pumpkin, peeled, deseeded, cut into 1cm-thick wedges
- 3 teaspoons caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 x 400g cans chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 75g toasted slivered almonds (see note)
- 1/3 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 lemon, rind finely grated
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Divide pumpkin between 2 large baking trays. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with sugar and drizzle with oil.
- Roast for 30 to 40 minutes, swapping trays after 20 minutes, or until golden and tender. Set aside to cool. Place pumpkin on a large plate.
- Add chickpeas and almonds. Toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate until required. Whisk vinegar, garlic and lemon rind in a jug.
- Season with salt and pepper. Pour dressing over pumpkin salad. Sprinkle with parsley. Toss gently to combine.
Number of servings (yield): 8
Meal type: snack
Culinary tradition: USA (General)