Recipe: Summer Caponata Pasta
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 4 baby eggplants, halved lengthways, cut into 1.5cm pieces
- 400g can whole peeled tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup pitted green olives, halved
- 2 celery stalks, cut into 1.5cm pieces
- 200g green beans, halved on the diagonal
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 400g gluten-free rice fettuccine
- Small basil leaves, to garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large deep saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and eggplant and cook, stirring occasionally for about 7 minutes or until softened.
- Add the drained tomatoes and olives, breaking up tomatoes with the back of a wooden spoon. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the celery and green beans and cook, covered, for 3 minutes or until bright green and still crunchy. Stir in raisins and vinegar.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pan of boiling water according to packet instructions. Drain and toss through caponata. Serve garnished with basil.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)