Recipe: Tuna & roasted capsicum bruschetta with horseradish mayonnaise
- 125g (1/2 cup) low-fat mayonnaise, 97% fat free (Kraft brand)
- 1 tbs bottled grated horseradish
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 8 2cm-thick slices Italian bread
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 4 (about 180g each, 2-2.5cm-thick) tuna steaks
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 120g baby spinach leaves, washed, dried
- 150g bought chargrilled red capsicum, drained well on paper towel, sliced
- Preheat grill on high. Combine the mayonnaise and horseradish in a small bowl. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Toast the bread under preheated grill for 2-3 minutes each side or until golden. Rub both sides of the toasted bread with the garlic.
- Brush tuna steaks evenly all over with oil. Season with salt and pepper. Heat a large heavy-based non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add tuna and cook for 1 1/2-2 minutes each side for medium-rare or until cooked to your liking (see p 84 and below for other cooking times).
- Cut the tuna into 5mm-thick slices. Arrange the spinach over the toasted bread.
- Top with the tuna and capsicum, and drizzle with the horseradish mayonnaise.
- Serve immediately.
Number of servings (yield): 6
Meal type: brunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)