Recipe: Cherries in amaretto syrup
- 375ml (1 1/2 cups) water
- 155g (3/4 cup) caster sugar
- 7cm-strip orange rind
- 1kg cherries, stems removed, pitted
- 125ml (1/2 cup) amaretto liqueur
- 4 whole star anise
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Stir the water, sugar and orange rind in a saucepan over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil. Add the cherries.
- Reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 5 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to divide the cherries between two 750ml (3-cup) capacity sterilised jars.
- Divide syrup, amaretto, star anise and cinnamon among jars. Top with water to cover. Set aside in a dark place for 3-4 weeks.
- Once opened, store in fridge for 4-6 weeks.
Number of servings (yield): 6
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)