Recipe: Chicken involtini with smoked mozzarella
- 4 x 150g free-range chicken breast fillets
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
- 2 tbs chopped oregano leaves
- 2 tbs choppe
d flat-leaf parsley
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 16-24 pancetta slices (from a flat piece)
- 250g smoked mozzarella (scamorza) (see note) or bocconcini, thinly sliced
- 200g jar roasted red and yellow capsicum strips, drained Soft polenta, to serve (optional)
- Lay chicken fillets on a board between pieces of plastic wrap. Beat with a rolling pin to flatten to an even thickness of about 2cm.
- Combine 1 tbs oil with the herbs and garlic in a bowl. Season. Lay 4-6 pancetta slices, overlapping, on the workbench (so they form a sheet large enough to enclose the chicken).
- Place a chicken fillet across the slices, brush with a little of the oil mixture, then top with a layer of cheese and capsicum.
- Starting at one short end, roll up chicken and filling, using pancetta to enclose. Tie in 2-3 places with kitchen string. Repeat with remaining chicken and filling. Chill for 15 minutes while you preheat oven to 180°C.
- Heat remaining oil in a large ovenproof frypan over medium-high heat. Brown chicken all over, turning, for 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer to the oven for 10 minutes until chicken is cooked and cheese is melted. Remove string, then thickly slice the involtini.
- Serve with polenta, if desired.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: brunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)