Recipe: Ham and broccoli pasta bake
- 300g dried fusilli pasta
- 380g (1 head) broccoli, trimmed, cut into small florets
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat dairy spread
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 lemon, rind finely grated
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat spreadable cream cheese
- 1/2 cup grated reduced-fat tasty cheese
- 200g 98% fat-free ham, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
- olive oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water following packet directions, until just tender.
- Add broccoli to saucepan 1 minute before pasta is cooked. Meanwhile, melt dairy spread in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
- Add milk, a little at a time, whisking until smooth. Return to heat. Add lemon rind. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until sauce just comes to the boil.
- Reduce heat to low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add cream cheese and tasty cheese.
- Stir until melted and smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Drain pasta and broccoli. Place in an 8-cup capacity ovenproof dish.
- Top with ham. Pour cheese sauce over ham and stir until well combined.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs over pasta. Spray lightly with oil. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden and hot.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)