Recipe: Salmon & poached egg on zucchini rosti
- 4 large sebago (brushed) or golden delight potatoes, peeled, coarsely grated
- 4 large zucchini, coarsely grated
- 160ml (2/3 cup) olive oil
- 8 free-range eggs
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh dill sprigs
- 8 slices (about 200g) smoked salmon
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Combine the potato and zucchini in a colander. Squeeze out excess moisture. Transfer to a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 120°C. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium high heat. Spoon four 1/4-cup portions of potato mixture into the pan.
- Flatten into 10cm-diameter discs. Cook for 4-5 minutes each side or until golden. Transfer to a baking tray. Place in oven to keep warm. Repeat, in 3 more batches, reheating the pan between batches.
- Line eight 125ml (1/2-cup) capacity ramekins with plastic wrap, allowing the sides to overhang. Crack 1 egg into each lined ramekin.
- Twist and tie the edges to seal. Bring a large 22cm (base measurement) saucepan of water to the boil. Remove from heat. Transfer eggs in the plastic wraps to water.
- Cover and set aside for 4-5 minutes or until just set. Transfer the eggs to a plate. Use scissors to cut the plastic wrap. Unwrap the eggs.
- Meanwhile, combine the tomato and dill in a bowl. Divide the rosti among serving plates. Top with the salmon, poached eggs and tomato mixture.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
Number of servings (yield): 8
Meal type: brunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)