Recipe: Smoked salmon vichyssoise
- 30g unsalted butter
- 2 leeks (white part only), chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled, chopped
- 1 tbs chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tbs chopped chives, plus extra snipped chives to serve
- 1L (4 cups) chicken stock
- 150g sliced smoked salmon, chopped
- 300ml pure (thin) cream
- Salmon roe, to serve
- Melt the butter in a frypan over low heat. Add the leek and onion, then cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes until it begins to soften.
- Add the celery, potato, parsley, chives and chicken stock. Increase the heat to high and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes or until the potato is very tender.
- Allow to cool. Add the smoked salmon to the cooled soup mixture, then blend, in batches if necessary, until smooth. Pass through a sieve, discarding solids, then chill in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Just before serving, stir the cream through the salmon soup and season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Divide the soup among shot glasses or small cups, then serve garnished with salmon roe, extra chives and freshly ground black pepper.
Number of servings (yield): 24
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)