Recipe: Soy braised corn-fed chicken
- 1 1/2 cups dark soy sauce
- 1 1/4 cups shao hsing cooking wine, rice wine or dry sherry
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/4 cups dark brown sugar
- 5 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5cm piece ginger, sliced
- 1.6kg free-range, corn-fed chicken, washed and pat-dried fresh rice noodles, to serve steamed baby bok choy, to serve
- Place soy sauce, wine, stock, sugar, star anise, cinnamon and ginger into a large, heavy-based saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring, for 15 minutes or until sugar is dissolved and sauce comes to the boil.
- Reduce heat to low. Add chicken. Cover and cook for 30 minutes. Carefully turn chicken over. Cook, covered, for a further 30 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat. Stand for 30 minutes. Remove chicken, cover and keep warm. Return saucepan to heat and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, or until sauce reduces and thickens. Sieve liquid. Cut chicken into pieces.
- Serve, drizzled with sauce, with rice noodles bok choy. Variation: Remove all meat from chicken carcass then place on top of noodles.
- Drizzle with sauce and serve.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: brunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)