Recipe: Veal cutlets with crispy potatoes & cherry sauce
- 4 (about 800g) brushed potatoes, peeled, cut into 5mm-thick slices
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 50g bought garlic butter
- 4 (about 1kg) veal cutlets
- 450g fresh cherries, pitted
- 310ml (1 1/4 cups) water
- 150g snow peas, trimmed, steamed
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a large baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Place the potato, in a single layer, on the prepared tray.
- Heat the oil and half the butter in a small saucepan over low heat until the butter melts. Brush the butter mixture over the potato. Season with pepper.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until tender and golden. Meanwhile, season the veal with salt and pepper. Heat the remaining garlic butter in a large frying pan over medium-high heat until foaming.
- Cook the veal for 3-4 minutes each side for medium or until browned and cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate. Cover with foil and set aside for 3 minutes to rest.
- Add the cherries to the pan. Cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes or until the cherries start to soften. Add the water and any juices from the plate.
- Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 5-10 minutes or until the sauce reduces by two-thirds and the cherries are soft.
- Set aside to cool slightly. Divide the potato and veal among serving plates. Spoon over the cherry mixture.
- Serve with the snow peas.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: brunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)