Recipe: Chicken with shallots
- 12 (about 1.8kg) chicken thigh fillets, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 tbs finely grated fresh ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp Chinese five spice
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 60ml (1/4 cup) tamari (wheat-free soy sauce)
- 60ml (1/4 cup) fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbs rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbs sesame oil
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 bunch green shallots, ends trimmed, cut into 8cm lengths
- Steamed jasmine rice, to serve
- Combine the chicken, ginger, garlic, five spice, cloves, tamari, lemon juice, vinegar and sesame oil in a bowl. Cover and place in fridge for 1 hour to marinate.
- Drain the chicken and reserve the marinade. Heat one-quarter of the vegetable oil in a wok over high heat. Add the shallot and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Transfer to a plate. Add one-quarter of the chicken and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes. Place in a bowl. Repeat, in 3 more batches, with the remaining oil and chicken.
- Add marinade to wok and bring to the boil. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until sauce thickens. Pour over chicken.
- Divide chicken among serving plates and top with shallots.
- Serve with rice.
Number of servings (yield): 8
Meal type: brunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)