Recipe: Chickpea & zucchini patties
- 125g (1/2 cup) low-fat natural yoghurt (99.8% fat free, Pauls brand)
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, coarsely grated
- 1 tbs fresh lemon juice
- 3 300g cans chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 2 small (about 180g) zucchini, coarsely grated
- 105g (1 Â½ cups) breadcrumbs made from day-old bread
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 3 tsp vegetable oil
- 150g green beans, topped (tails left on)
- 60g baby spinach leaves
- Combine yoghurt, cucumber, lemon juice and a pinch of salt. Place in fridge. Place chickpeas, zucchini, breadcrumbs, coriander, garlic, cumin, cayenne, egg and a pinch of salt in bowl of a food processor.
- Process until almost smooth. Divide into 8 portions. Shape into 8cm patties, about 2cm thick. Heat half the oil in non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
- Add 4 patties and cook for 3-4 minutes each side or until golden. Place on a plate lined with paper towel and cover with foil.
- Repeat with remaining oil and patties. Meanwhile, cook beans in boiling water for 3 minutes or until tender crisp. Drain and return to pan.
- Add spinach and toss until spinach just wilts.
- Serve the patties with the beans, spinach and cucumber dressing.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)