Recipe: Chilli con carne
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1kg lean beef mince
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 35g pkt chilli seasoning
- 800g can diced tomatoes
- 400g can red kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- Steamed rice, to serve
- Fresh coriander leaves, to serve
- Reduced-fat sour cream, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Cook the mince, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up any lumps, for 4 minutes or until well browned.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring often, for 3-4 minutes or until soft. Add the seasoning, tomato, beans and tomato paste.
- Cook, stirring often, for 2-3 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Divide the rice and mince mixture among serving bowls.
- Top with coriander leaves and serve with sour cream.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)