Recipe: Prawn, pea & coconut paella
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 tbs coriander seeds, crushed or 1 tsp ground coriander
- 6 green cardamom pods
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1-2cm piece ginger, grated 10 curry leaves
- 2 cups (400g) basmati rice
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) each of gluten-free chicken stock and coconut milk
- 500g cooked prawns, peeled, tails intact
- 1 cup (120g) frozen peas
- Mint sprigs, coriander leaves and lemon wedges, to serve
- Heat oil in a large deep frypan over medium-high heat. Cook dry spices, stirring, for a few seconds until fragrant. Add onion, ginger and curry leaves and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Add rice and stir to coat. Add lemon zest, stock and coconut milk. Partially cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent catching.
- The rice should be al dente – cooked but still firm to the bite. Stir in the prawns and peas and heat through for 5 minutes.
- Serve with fresh herbs and lemon wedges.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)