Recipe: Vegetable, bacon and risoni soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 125g 97% fat-free bacon, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 carrots, peeled, chopped
- 1 parsnip, peeled, chopped
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 2 small zucchini, chopped
- 6 cups reduced-salt beef stock
- 400g can diced roma tomatoes
- 1/3 cup dried risoni pasta
- 1/3 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, bacon and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add carrot, parsnip, celery and zucchini. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add stock and tomatoes. Stir to combine. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Stir in risoni. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes or until risoni is tender.
- Season with salt and pepper. Stir through parsley. Ladle soup into bowls.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: snack
Culinary tradition: USA (General)