Recipe: Almond cake with apricot and vanilla bean syrup
- 250g butter, softened
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups almond meal (ground almonds)
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- Double cream, to serve
- Apricot and vanilla bean syrup
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 4 apricots, halved, stones removed, cut into thick wedges
- Preheat oven to 160°C/140°C fan-forced. Grease a 6cm-deep, 22cm round cake pan. Line base and sides with baking paper.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition. Stir in almond meal and flour. Spread mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes or until a skewer inserted in centre comes out clean. Stand in pan for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes.
- Make syrup Using a sharp knife, scrape seeds from bean. Place seeds, bean, sugar and 1/2 cup cold water in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until sugar dissolves (don’t boil). Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 7 minutes or until slightly thickened. Add apricots. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes or until apricots are just tender. Remove from heat. Remove and discard bean.
- Place cake on a plate. Spoon over apricot mixture. Serve with cream.
- Tip: You could use other stonefruit such as peaches, plums and nectarines instead of apricots.
- Low FODMAP diet tip: Make this a Low FODMAP recipe by omitting apricot syrup – use berries or mandarins.
Number of servings (yield): 8
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)