Recipe: Braised winter greens with smoked pork
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 200g kaiserfleisch, cut into 1.5cm pieces (see note)
- 1 large leek, trimmed, washed, thinly sliced
- 3 witlof, halved lengthways
- 2 bunches (about 250g) Tuscan cabbage, washed, dried
- 1 1/2 tbs red wine vinegar
- 3 tsp Dijon mustard (see note)
- Heat the oil in a large deep frying pan over medium heat. Add the pork and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes or until golden.
- Add the leek and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the witlof and cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes. Add the cabbage, vinegar and mustard. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes or until the cabbage wilts and the witlof is tender. Season with salt and pepper to serve.
- Serves 6 as an accompaniment
- If kaiserfleisch is unavailable, use bacon.
- If you want this to be gluten free, use a gluten-free Dijon mustard.
- Shopping tip: Look for kaiserfleisch, a type of smoked pork, near the salamis in the deli section at Woolworths.
Number of servings (yield): 6
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)