Recipe: Broad bean and mint pilaf
- 500g frozen broad beans
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 250g (1 1/4 cups) long-grain rice
- 625ml (2 1/2 cups) vegetable or chicken stock (see note)
- 2 tbs chopped fresh mint
- Place the broad beans in a heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water. Set aside for 5 minutes or until thawed. Drain. Peel and discard the skins.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and rice, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the stock. Cover and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and cook for 10 minutes. Stir in the broad beans. Set aside, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Add the mint to the pilaf and stir until well combined. Transfer to a serving dish to serve.
- Serves 6 as an accompaniment.
- Make sure you use a gluten-free stock if you want this recipe to be gluten free.
- Make it ahead: Prepare this recipe to the end of step 1 up to 1 day ahead. Store the broad beans in an airtight container in the fridge. Continue to the end of step 3 up to 1 hour ahead. Keep covered. Just before serving, reheat the pilaf over medium-low heat and continue from step 4.
Number of servings (yield): 6
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)