Recipe: Ca kho to (caramel-tamarind salmon)
- 1 tbs peanut oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp fresh ginger matchsticks
- 60g (1/3 cup, lightly packed) brown sugar
- 80ml (1/3 cup) water
- 2 tsp tamarind puree
- 1 tsp fish sauce (see note)
- 500g skinless salmon, cut into 4cm pieces
- Thinly sliced shallots, to serve
- Steamed rice, to serve
- Heat the oil in a wok over medium heat. Cook the onion, garlic and ginger for 2 minutes or until aromatic. Add the sugar and water. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until the sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high. Cook until the mixture thickens and caramelises. Stir in the tamarind and fish sauce.
- Add the salmon. Cook, turning, for 3-5 minutes or until the salmon is cooked through. Transfer to a serving platter. Top with shallot. Serve with steamed rice.
- Serves 8 as part of a banquet.
- If you want this to be gluten free, use gluten-free fish sauce.
Number of servings (yield): 8
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)