Recipe: Chicken korma with saffron
- 90g (1/3 cup) Greek-style natural yoghurt
- 60g (1/4 cup) korma curry paste (see note)
- 1 tsp garam masala
- Pinch of saffron threads
- 800g chicken thigh fillets, cut into 4cm pieces
- 60ml (1/4 cup) vegetable oil
- 2 brown onions, finely chopped
- 125ml (1/2 cup) pouring cream
- 1 tbs vegetable oil, extra
- 55g (1/3 cup) raw cashews
- 50g (1/4 cup) raisins
- 12 fresh curry leaves
- Combine the yoghurt, curry paste, garam masala and saffron in a large glass or ceramic bowl. Add the chicken and turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to marinate.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until golden.
- Stir in the chicken. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add the cream and simmer for 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce thickens. Season with salt.
- Meanwhile, heat the extra oil in a large frying pan over medium-low heat. Add cashews, raisins and curry leaves. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until the cashews are golden and the raisins are plump.
- Transfer the curry to a serving dish. Top with cashew mixture to serve.
- If you want this recipe to be gluten free, use a gluten-free curry paste.
- Make it ahead: Prepare this recipe to end of step 3 up to 2 days ahead. Cover and store in fridge. Continue to end of step 4 up to 2 hours before serving. Store in an airtight container. Reheat the curry in a saucepan over medium heat for 10-15 minutes. Continue from step 5.
- Cook’s tip: To avoid curdling, make sure the curry sauce doesn’t boil in step 3.
Number of servings (yield): 6
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)